Eric is a Partner on the Litigation Team at Carson. While Eric’s practice focuses primarily on Personal Injury, Trucking Litigation, Employment Law, and Condemnation, being such a skilled litigator within the firm means he also is given the great opportunity to cover areas such as Product Liability, Contract Disputes, Insurance Coverage, Intellectual Property (IP), and Energy Law.
If you met Eric as an adult, you would never guess how successful he was at the aggressive sport of hockey, in his younger years. Eric credits hockey with his success in litigation as it taught him that excitement, preparedness and no-quit work ethic will lead to success and the ability to reach his full potential. He has earned the distinction of being named an Indiana Super Lawyer Rising Star in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.
Eric’s dedication to assist others is evident in our community and outside. He is currently serving on the Executive Committee of the Impact Center, which is a non-profit dedicated to meeting the needs of the southeast area of Fort Wayne. He has also been on short-term mission trips to Nicaragua and Rwanda where he served on a team to drilled wells to provide local villages with clean drinking water.
When he is not practicing law, Eric enjoys lake activities with his family, competing in long distance races, and attempting to train his hilariously huge and clumsy Great Dane. The first two he is much more successful at.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury Defense
- Trucking Litigation Employment Law
- Insurance Defense and Coverage
- Intellectual Property (IP)
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Product Liability
- Premises Liability
- Construction Litigation
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
Honors and Awards
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Miami University
- B.S. magna cum laude – 2007
- Major: Economics and History
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Named as a Rising Star by Indiana Super Lawyers – 2017, 2018 and 2019
- Glenn D. Peters Scholarship Award Recipient
- Michael J. Sacopulos Tax Award Recipient
- Allen County Bar Association
- Benjamin Harrison American Inn of Court
- Indiana State Bar Association
Personal Injury Defense
- Baker v. Giant, Allen Superior Court: After a five day jury trial, Dr. Giant obtained a defense verdict in a medical malpractice case involving anti-depressant use in a minor.
- Haggerty v. Hoosier Energy, Sullivan Superior Court: Eric sought and obtained summary judgment on behalf of the Defendant in a premises liability case for lack of duty. In a published opinion, summary judgment was affirmed by the Indiana Court of Appeals.
- Szabo v. Camp, Allen Superior Court: Following a two day jury trial, the Defendant obtained a defense verdict in a disputed liability automobile accident case.
- Williams v. Clark, Allen Superior Court: Eric tried this case to a jury in a “damages only” trial and obtained a favorable jury verdict for his client.
- Mihalec v. E&B Paving, Allen Superior Court: In the days leading up to trial, Eric was able to negotiate a voluntary dismissal of E&B from the Plaintiff without the payment of money.
- Rogers v. Anonymous Physician, et al, Allen Superior Court: Eric obtained summary judgment on behalf of his client in a complex statute of limitations issue in the context of a medical malpractice case. The trial court reversed itself by grating the patient’s motion to correct error. Summary judgment was upheld by the Indiana Court of Appeals and reversed the trial court’s grant of the motion to correct error.
- Skyllas v. McKinley, et al, Lake Superior Court: After a grant of summary judgment in favor of the Defendant, the trial court granted a motion to correct error. Eric appealed the trial court and, after oral argument before the Indiana Court of Appeals, obtained a reversal of the trial court and entered summary judgment in favor of the Defendant.
- Pace, et al v. City of Fort Wayne, et al, Allen Superior Court: Eric obtained summary judgment against Plaintiffs after the Plaintiffs executed a release of all claims with a third-party tortfeasor pre-suit.
- Bezingue, et al v. Steuben Lakes Regional Waste District, Northern District of Indiana: Plaintiff homeowners sued SLRWD on nine counts, including several alleged violations of the Indiana and United State Constitutions. Following discovery, Eric obtained summary judgment against on all county as to all Plaintiffs (originally 40 individuals).
- Steuben Lakes Regional Waste District v. Steele, et al, Steuben Superior Court: In the context of a forced connection lawsuit, Eric obtained a favorable verdict on all counts, including dismissal of the entirety of the Steeles’ Counterclaim, after a bench trial.
Civil Rights Defense
- Billingsley v. City of Fort Wayne, Northern District of Indiana: Eric obtained summary judgment on behalf of the City and its officer in a claimed excessive force matter.
- [Anonymous] v. City of Fort Wayne, Northern District of Indiana: Plaintiff filed a multi-count complaint against the City and seven of its police officers alleging claims for excessive force, false arrest, malicious prosecution, among other claims. After a six day jury trial, the Defendants obtained a defense verdict on 17 of the 19 counts. The case was resolved thereafter for a favorable sum.